Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Reality Check: "Plus Size" Style

Last night I was flipping through the July issue of InStyle magazine. I came across an article on "plus size" style and there was this woman, dressed in a few different outfits, showing off her summer "plus size" style.

Monsieur glanced over, from his comfy perch on the sofa, and said, "Oh, she looks like you! Same cute shape." 


This, of course, was meant as a compliment. He didn't see that the title that pronounced this "plus size" style.

I looked at the model closely. Her face is only partially in the photo. Probably to protect the poor thing's anonymity and spare her the "plus size" stigma.

As I examined her cooly, I realized my husband was right. If I caught my reflection in a mirror or some shop window, and I cut my head off, I would look like that woman.

Le sigh...

Let's be real. I am 5'2" and wear a size 12. I am currently plus size!

Luckily, this experience did not send me running for a tub of ice cream or a batch of chocolate bars. (I have sometimes suffered from some degree of emotional eating, as you will already know if you've read any of my earlier posts, but never really like that.)  Instead, it made me realize a few things.

First, I'm very lucky because Monsieur still thinks I'm cute despite the fact that I'm not at my best and I resemble a "plus size" model in a magazine.

And second, I need to remind myself that, as a French woman might put it, I deserve to be svelte and fit and attractive. As a result, I must make taking care of myself a top priority. I must make regular, reasonable exercise a part of my routine. I must prepare delicious, fresh, home-cooked meals for myself. I must sit down at a beautifully set table and enjoy a leisurely meal. These aren't things I should do. They are things I must do. Why? Because time is fleeting and I've been given this one life and I should appreciate it and appreciate my body for the miracle that it is. I mean, if I don't take care of me then who will??

So, while last night's experience did sting a little bit, it was a much needed reminder that I must focus on respecting my body, respecting my health, respecting myself.  (Especially since I was lazy in my food choices at both lunch and dinner yesterday!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment