Monday, June 9, 2014

R.E.P.O.R.T. Card--Special Edition

Last week I finally took my pastry class at the San Francisco Baking Institute. Every day, my alarm would go off at 6 a.m. and I would scurry to gather my things and get dressed to leave the house. Classes started at 7 a.m. and they would go until about 2-2:30 each day. It felt very intense, but I learned a lot and it was a really special treat.

Given the early departure time required to make it to class by 7 a.m., and the fact that breakfast and lunch were included in the course, I ate both of those meals at SFBI every day. Breakfasts were usually some sort of bake good (shocking, I know) and coffee or tea. Lunches always included a fresh green salad bar, plus a second item like a sandwich or some quiche or some pasta. And, there was always some sort of fabulous dessert available at lunch. One day we had slices of Opera Cake. Another, it was a Whiskey Hazelnut Mousse Dome Cake. And still another day, it was a super rich chocolate cake. Crazy!

The number and assortment of baked treats that accompanied us home at the end of each day was phenomenal. One day, we had three full sized pies! But, usually, I shared what I made with some family and friends, so we didn't have an excessive amount of goodies at home to tempt us. Still, for obvious reasons, last week Monsieur and I definitely ate a lot more sweets and baked treats than we normally would. Also, because I would arrive home pretty tired, I cooked dinner fewer times and we had take-out more than usual.

Given all this, I was a little bit worried about what today's scale might tell me. But, I know that last week was the exception to the rule and that I should be able to course-correct this week, as long as I'm careful and pay attention to what I'm doing.


In any case, let's get started with grades:
  • Real, natural foods: B+
  • Enjoy the dining experience: B 
  • Portion control: B
  • Only at mealtimes--no snacking: C 
  • Run around--incorporate exercise naturally: B 
  • Treat yourself: ??
Not sure how to grade "Treat yourself" this week. I certainly didn't deprive myself! I tasted everything and had more than I normally would given the special circumstances. But is that good or not? I guess that I need to remind myself that last week was unique and try not to over-think it.

Now for the scary part.

Weekly weigh-in: 166.0 (+1.0 lbs versus last week and -1.0 to-date)

I don't know if I should be sad or ecstatic at the 1 lb. change. I am a little sad, because I definitely tried to limit the number of treats I allowed myself and I ate some salad every day for lunch, and sometimes only salad. But, I'm also a bit elated because part of me thinks it could have been so much worse! Especially considering the sheer number and variety of delicious pastries that we made!

The key for this week will be to settle back into a normal routine and plan out some healthy, French-style meals. And, I need to incorporate some exercise back in to my daily life. If I do those two things, I'll be curious to see how quickly I can recover from my week-long pastry vacation!

Final Grade: C


No comments:

Post a Comment