Thursday, May 22, 2014

Eating, French Style

I must admit I am still a little surprised by the reading on the scale this week. To make sure I hadn't imagined it, I re-weighed myself this morning. (Now, I know that it is typically best to weigh yourself only once per week and at the same time each time you do it, but I couldn't help myself.)  Today's weight? 164 lbs. Wow! Not only was the other day's reading not off, but now it's even better! Yay!!

Anyway, that got me thinking, "Why??" Whatever I'm doing that is working, I want to keep doing it!  :)

I started looking over my food log and one thing I noticed is that this week (and one earlier week when I also had good results) I had more yogurt at breakfast time. This may be a coincidence, but I'm going to continue to keep watching to see if there's a correlation.

Usually I eat Greek-style yogurt by Fage. Specifically, Fage Total, which is the "full fat" version. Full fat, it turns out, means 10g of fat per serving, as opposed to the 2% or 0% versions which have 2g or 0g, respectively.

The Fage container I get has 7 oz (200 g) of yogurt, and according to the label, it is considered 1 serving and it has 190 calories.  I get about 4 servings out of this same container because I split it with Monsieur over two days. Usually, I add a very small amount of strawberry jam to my yogurt, or some fresh raspberries if I happen to have them. 

A French-style yogurt that I want to try again is from the Saint Benoit Creamery, up in Sonoma County. This yogurt is sold by Whole Foods near where I live. I looove the small glass jar packaging! (I am a sucker for good packaging, so this is no surprise.)


The Saint Benoit yogurt is sold in a 4.75 oz (135g) serving size. I don't know if I would get two servings out of this size container or if I'd be "forced" to eat it all. I guess it would depend on how yummy it was. It is somewhat interesting, though, that the serving is just automatically smaller (almost half the size of the Fage yogurt). That feels very French to me. 

I'll have to pick some up the next time I'm at Whole Foods and report back.

Speaking of reporting back, I did end up deciding to sign up for the week-long patisserie baking class that Monsieur offered for my birthday. That will be the first week of June so I probably won't be blogging much. The class runs from 7 am to 3 pm, M-F. That means I'll have to be up by 6 a.m. Yikes!! Still, I think that good patisserie is worth a little sacrifice, don't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment