Friday, May 16, 2014

Quality over Quantity

One of the things that I think really characterizes the French style and mindset is the concept of Quality over Quantity.  It seems that the French are naturally inclined to think in that way, and to prefer something that is really good, even if it's in a small amount, to a lot of something that's only meh.

In the realm of food, that means preferring something like a filet with Bearnaise sauce, accompanied by vegetables sauteed in butter (real butter) and a bit of a delicious dessert (perhaps Tarte Tatin or some profiteroles) over the all-you-can-eat buffet cooked in hydrogenated oils and desserts made with high fructose corn syrup.

In the realm of fashion, that means having a few basic pieces (maybe from Zara or H&M) but dressing them up with some seriously fashionable accessories (Hermes! Chanel! St. Laurent! Oh my!).

I recently read Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris, by the American writer Jennifer Scott, who spent a year abroad during her college years.


According to Ms. Scott, one secret to the French's incredible sense of style is that they hone down their wardrobes because they just don't have the space for tons of clothes. She advocates getting down to a 10 item wardrobe (10?!?!) and creating multiple outfits through the clever use of accessories. (As a side note: it's no coincidence that her first three chapters are dedicated to diet and exercise. And, yes, she repeats what others have already said--no snacking, don't deprive yourself, and incorporate exercise into your everyday life.)

Anyway, her book inspired me to start a major wardrobe re-evaluation and a closet clean out. I don't expect to get down to 10 items, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement in my wardrobe.

I know that what I really need is to change the way I think and apply these new, basic principles to all aspects of my life. Not just to food or fashion, but to everything, in my pursuit of health, happiness and chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment