Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Motivation & Rewards

Many, many diets and weight loss programs that I've read about encourage you to set up goals and rewards at regular intervals.



The treat-oriented part of me always liked that concept. Unfortunately, it didn't ever really work for me.  Maybe because the reality of losing 5 lbs "cost" me a lot more than what a manicure or new lipstick ever did. I mean, honestly, do you know how hard it is to lose 5 lbs, especially if you've been holding onto extra weight for years? (Not to mention losing even more weight!)

Let me just go on record and say that if I manage to lose a significant amount of weight and I can fit into a size 8, you can be darn sure I'll be splurging on something other than a pair of jeans. Something more like this:


This is an Hermes blouse and it's a size 8. I found it on The Real Real, which is an online luxury consignment 'store'. This top, because it is being sold on consignment, cost a bit more than a pair of premium denim jeans. Now that's what I call a reward!

Anyway, when I was reading about the French attitude towards food, diet, and health, I thought it was very interesting to see that there isn't really that same concept of progress and rewards.  Why is that??

Well, I think part of the reason is that French women see being healthy and slender as their right. They deserve to be slim and beautiful and cherished. And likewise, getting a manicure and a haircut is part of a woman's regular grooming or 'maintenance' and not something that has to be earned through weight loss.

So, who's right? Is the American system of goals and rewards actually an effective weight loss tool? Or should we embrace the French way and look at weight loss in the same way as we would look at any other element of living a happy, healthy life? As something that is meant to be and deserved, and not as something that we need to earn. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment